Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Guyana to Barbados to Puerto Rico to America

Ok, I love to see pictures more than read stuff, so this is gonna be tons of pics. This is me with the last group of youth that I helped trained to be HIV/AIDS peer educators. It was a very diverse group.
This is me and Matthias in Lethem. He helped by biking me to different houses to that I could administer a survey to the youth in this hinterland region. This region has Amerindins-indiginous people- and they are so kind! Lethem is right on the boarder of Brazil and so I crossed into Brazil for an afternoon to eat some beef on a stick and drink some Guarana.

These are some of my soccer boys. I would play soccer with neighborhood kids most nights after work, that is, if the field wasn't flooded from all the rain. They were always happy to see me cause I brought the ball-yes, I brought a soccer ball to Guayana. Once a PE teacher, always a PE teacher.
These last two fotos in Guyana are my favorites! Every Saturday they would have baptisms at the chapel. It was a little crazy at first to see them get baptized in chocolate brown water(which is how all the water is in Guyana) but very special and powerful!
This is a photo with a few of the kids in the primary which I taught for 3 weeks because the primary president had gone inactive. I had 17 kids, ranging from ages 2-12, for 2 hours. To make this more of an adventure, 3 were recently baptized and 12 were there because their parents were investigating the church. It was crazy town, but behaved pretty well because I promised them each two cookies. Oh, the power of a cookie!
I loved Guyana, but the beautiful beaches of Barbados were heaven! Megan and I covered the island by riding busses all over the island and had one relaxing day on a cruise to swim with the turtles and fish! So fun.
On my flight home from Barbados, I had an 8 hour layover in Puerto Rico. I could just sit in the airport, so I jumped on a bus to see the city. I went near the castle and cathedral in San Juan and then went to the beach. I was back at the airport with 45 min. till my flight left. It was pretty sweet, but not advisable if you don't speak the language! I almost didn't make it back on time. Anyway sorry if this is really long, but I had a great time and can't wait to hear about everyone elses adventures!

1 comment:

grant said...

Haha! That rocks. Shoot, I'm jealous -- I haven't been in the same branch long enough to help in ways other than attending Institute, giving a talk or bearing an impromptu testimony. I hope I can keep in touch with everyone here!

How's the prospects of a project in Guyana? I've got one developing in Cambodia.