Thursday, June 28, 2007

drugs or grants?

It's me again! I am trying to put my schedule together and wanted to ask how the electives work. Basically does it turn out to be one elective per semester? How come the electives are on Tues/Thurs? That kind of messes up my plans (ha ha). I am interested in the grant writing class. Is is a lot of work? Would I be better off taking substance abuse first semester and saving grant writing until second year? I don't want to kill myself off right out of the gate. Words of wisdom second years?

Thanks,
Kristin Brown

2 comments:

grant said...

I am taking my electives during my second year, but many took one elective per semester. It depends on your schedule outside of the core classes. The research assistantship can take up to 15 hours a week (plus it's paid) and can be a very worthwhile experience. Some people also got involved in campus public health campaigns (AIDS Day, etc...). Taking one elective per semester will allow you to be done with classes by Fall of your second year.

Jun said...

Hi Kristen. I'm not a 2nd year but just graduated from the program. I started taking electives my second semester but it was lots of work on top of the 12 required credits. You can always register and drop it after you see the syllabus. If you start taking electives your 1st year, you can have winter semester of 2nd year off to do your project. That was nice for me to be able to concentrate on that and get it done! I didn't take the substance abuse class but heard it was good. I took grant writing my 2nd year and I think it's a good skill to have for public health. Many jobs require that in their duties. As for the class itself, it was somewhat confusing and difficult at times. I know I'm not the only one who felt that way in the class but it teaches the basics of grant writing.